Macronutrients VS Micronutrients
Healthy diets. We all try to eat healthy and some of us do a better job than others, but what exactly are we consuming and why is it so important?
To answer this question, you first have to understand what macronutrients and micronutrients are, the difference between them, and why they are important for the body.
What are Macronutrients?
Macronutrients are split into three main parts: carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
We need macronutrients for normal growth and development.
Your body uses these foods to make glucose, which is your body’s main energy source. Glucose is a type of sugar that can be used right away for energy or stored away to be used later.
- Carbohydrates provide the body with the energy it needs and are a good source of many vitamins and minerals. However, not all carbohydrates are created equal, this means that there are good and bad carbohydrates.
- Proteins do most of the work in cells and are required for the structure, function, and regulation of the body’s tissues and organs. Proteins are made up of hundreds or thousands of smaller units called amino acids, which are attached to one another in long chains. Proteins are vital in antibodies, enzymes, and structural components of DNA.
- Fats are a type of nutrient that you get from your diet. It is essential to eat some fats, though it is also harmful to eat too many. Fat also helps you absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K, the so-called fat-soluble vitamins. Fat also fills your fat cells and insulates your body to help keep you warm.
What are Micronutrients?
Now that we know what macronutrients are, what are micronutrients?
Micronutrients are essential for healthy bodies, such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. While micronutrients are literally the ingredient of every cell in the human body, macronutrients provide the energy for the body to do the work involved of living.
Micronutrients consist of vitamins and minerals, which are essential to the body.
Vitamins are split into two groups: fat-soluble and water-soluble. Your body stores fat-soluble vitamins in fatty tissues for reserve, in case you don’t meet your daily oral intake. These consist of vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Vitamin A – essential for eye, brain, and immune system health
- Vitamin D – essential for respiratory health, promotes bone growth, and enhances mental and emotional well-being
- Vitamin E- a powerful antioxidant, protects DNA by stopping free radicals from damaging the fragile structure of the chromosomes
- Vitamin K- activates the proteins in blood responsible for clotting during coagulation
Water-soluble vitamins are limited gto the B-complex vitamins and vitamin C. These vitamins need to be replaced on a daily basis because they are not easily stored. Instead of storing, your body excretes excess water-soluble vitamins in urine.
The following B-complex vitamins regulate the metabolism in cells, serve as cofactors, and affect mood and immune health:
- B1 – thiamin
- B2 – riboflavin
- B3 – niacin
- B5 – pantothenic acid
- B6 – pyridoxine
- B9 – folic acid
- B12 – cobalamin
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, and is incredibly important for growth and healing. Vitamin C is essential for sufficient strength in connective tissue, bones, and skin elasticity.
Minerals are naturally occurring substances. They are important nutrients that enable your cells to carry out essential functions.Some key minerals include:
- Magnesium – plays an important role in metabolism, and vital to bone formation and synthesis of genetic material
- Calcium – the most abundant mineral in the human body, calcium is responsible for muscle and blood vessel relaxation and contraction, nerve firing, and communication between cells. Also vital for bone strength.
- Potassium – 98% of Americans fall short on their Potassium intake. Potassium is responsible for muscle and nerve function, a steady heartbeat, and cell detoxification.
When people don’t consume enough vitamins and minerals, they become deficient. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to many negative symptoms and conditions. These deficiencies can also lead to suppression of the immune system, which can cause further damage to the body from infection and disease.
The Myers’ Cocktail
James Myers, a Physician from Baltimore, was the first medical provider to administer a vitamin cocktail intravenously. He created this mixture which included Magnesium, Calcium chloride, vitamin C, and a combination of vitamin Bs, all mixed into a bag of normal saline. He then administered to his patients intravenously. His results were amazing! His patients that initially came in complaining of chronic fatigue, depressed state, and recurrent infections, were not seeing these symptoms come back. Through extensive research on the original Myers’ Cocktail, we have learned the benefits and keys to optimizing these vitamin infusion treatments.
This infusion works by increasing the blood concentration of several essential vitamins and minerals beyond that which can be achieved through conventional routes, like oral supplementation (pills). It is especially useful in those with high levels of stress, like athletes, students, and professionals, who need a higher need for specific nutrients. Improvement has also been documents in those with a lowered immune system function, like those suffering from:
- Migraine Headaches
- Chronic Fatigue
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic Pain
- Muscle Spasms
- Chronic Sinusitis/Allergies
- Depression, Anxiety, and Effects from Stress
- Hormonal Imbalances
Through extensive research on Dr. Myers’ cocktail, we have created different mixtures for different conditions, yielding different types of results. Additionally, since we create the cocktail on the spot, we tailor the treatment for your condition and symptoms. We can increase or decrease the typical dose, per the patient’s usual intake and blood concentration levels. We offer 4 different types of intravenous vitamin therapy.
IV Nutrient Menu
Our “Perform” intravenous vitamin infusion is used by athletes to properly hydrate their body before strenuous activity, as well as post-workout to rejuvenate and rehydrate the exhausted body. “Perform” aims at restoring the body’s hydration levels and promoting performance enhancement by proper rejuvenation. This infusion contains key vitamin and minerals for your body to fully absorb. Together, these ingredients work to rejuvenate and rehydrate your body at a cellular level, creating a greater energy supply. This in turn decreases fatigue and exhaustion.
Our “Defend” intravenous infusion contains a high dose of vitamin C, mixed together with the electrolytes, minerals, and antioxidants that work to enhance the immune system, detoxify, and energize the body. Our “Defend” formula helps the body rid itself of cold or flu-like symptoms by boosting the immune system and can also be used to help reduce stress or to combat jet-lag symptoms.This intravenous treatment is the perfect formula for maintaining proper health and optimal well-being.
Our “Recover” formula is targeted to rehydrate and help your body recover from conditions such as hangovers, body aches, and cold/flu-like symptoms. Miami has a party lifestyle where alcoholic beverages are a normal. Unfortunately, if enough alcohol is consumed, hangovers are imminent, causing nausea, vomiting, headaches, and sound sensitivity. Our “Recover” formula contains antioxidants, electrolytes, vitamins, and key minerals to help your body rejuvenate itself. This formula also contains a special anti-nausea/vomiting medication to help you reverse the hangover. “Recover” can help balance out your hydration and energy levels to get you feeling healthy.
Our “Endure” intravenous therapy is ideal for anti-aging and detoxifying the body from damaging free radicals. Our “Endure” formula contains Glutathione, a potent antioxidant, combined with vitamin C and other minerals that your body uses to rejuvenate. Glutathione is naturally produced by your body, but its levels decrease with age. Glutathione can repair your body on a cellular level, which can promote better appearance and health of hair, nails, and skin. The decrease in cellular glutathione levels is associated with cell toxicity that can lead to disease, and intravenous supplementation of glutathione will reduce the toxicity on a cellular level, thus eliminating disease and illness, especially those related to the body’s aging process.